Thursday, November 12, 2009

It doesn't have to be all-or-nothing

Even though I am a stay at home mom, I don't have the energy to devote to diaper-free days. We did about 3 days without diapers at home in the beginning, and I was going nuts! And we have hard wood floors--I can't imagine it with carpet!

You can start with offering the potty at good opportunities(known as "pottytunities" in EC circles). Examples of good pottytunities would be in the morning when baby first wakes up, immediately after naps, and when you're already changing a diaper. I try to make the experience a completely happy thing--no pressure. If Charlie doesn't want to sit on the potty, I don't force him. I do try to distract him so that he will sit(our bathroom has more toys than his bedroom!) and sometimes it works, but if it doesn't, that's ok too. I want the potty to be a positive thing with no crying, fighting, etc.

Start out by simply offering the potty when it's convenient for you. Your baby may completely surprise you!

1 comment: