Thursday, November 12, 2009

Intro to My Experience

This is going to be a blog about my experiences with Elimination Communication, or EC(also known as infant potty training). EC is a laid-back, calm approach to teaching your infant to communicate their needs to eliminate.

I had heard about EC before I had my son. I thought it was way too out there for me, so I blew it off. When my son was about 9 months old, it became VERY obvious when he had to poo. I started to think about EC again, and I did some research. I found that you don't have to be gung-ho about it, and even if you get 1 catch a day, that's teaching the baby something. So I went for it, and the first time I put him on the potty, he pooed! I soon started doing it when he would wake up in the morning and after naps, and he would almost always pee!

We started EC on Charlie's 10 month birthday. He is now just over 12 months old, and most everything gets in the potty! He is not doing the sign for "potty" yet, but I continue to do it when he goes. He gets fussy if it's time to pee, although sometimes he gets so angry that getting him to sit on the potty is difficult. But that's what this is all about--it's a learning experience for both of us! I have to learn to recognize his signs BEFORE he gets fussy.

This blog will be a shot into our lives of my easy-for-anyone approach to EC!

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome!!!! That's great that you didn't ignore his obvious need to poo and found a place for him besides his pants! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea to start this blog! It shows that infant pottying can work fine with late-starters and how helpful it is to be relaxed about it :-)

    If you plan to add a links section, here are a few for consideration:

    http://www.TimL.com/ipt
    http://www.pottywhisperer.com

    And for resources, “Infant Potty Training” book and “Potty Whispering” DVD.

    ReplyDelete